January Cake Bites
On December 25th, a day when we serve a very rich fruit pudding AND mince pies filled with a rich fruit filling, we also offer a… rich fruit cake. There has to be one on the table or it just isn’t Christmas, but, if you’re like me, there does tend to be a lot left over.
I hope those of you who have bought some of my baking range from Poundland have been enjoying using it – do let me know if you think of any items you’d like me to add, or any other ideas that you come up with. I’ve got loads of new exciting products that I‘m developing, so keep an eye on the shelves…
Meanwhile, I hope January goes well for you.
Ingredients (makes 6)
Tip: “The cake pops kit in Poundland is perfect for filling with pre-cooked cake and other ingredients, and they are perfect for using up all kinds of left over cake. I used rich Christmas cake, but you could do exactly the same thing with vanilla or chocolate sponge: just add a spoonful of butter icing or some of my Poundland frosting to bind it together.”
- 150g (approx.) marzipanned fruit cake (if using cake without marzipan, add a tablespoonful of butter icing or frosting to bind)
- A little whisky or brandy (optional)
- 80g (approx.) chocolate chips, milk, plain or white
- Assorted edible sprinkles and strands
- Remove any icing from the cake, but leave the marzipan in place. Using a fork, squash the cake and marzipan together in a bowl and add a few drops of whisky or brandy if you choose.
- When the fruit is broken up and the marzipan is mixed in, press the pureed cake into each cake pop mould and press them together.
- Since the cake will be very sticky, put the mould in the freezer for 10 minutes or so to make the shapes easier to turn out. This will also help the chocolate covering to set quickly without sliding off.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over hot water or in the microwave and pour some sprinkles into a second small bowl.
- Open up the mould and turn out the cold cake bites. Dip each one in the melted chocolate until covered, then roll around in the sprinkles. Put the finished cake bites onto a plate lined with a piece of baking parchment and return to the freezer until the chocolate is firm.
- Arrange on a pretty plate and allow to come to room temperature before serving.