Love is in the air and so is the delicious aroma of cupcakes.
If you’re planning to bake something as an affectionate gesture for your Valentine, win their heart with Red Velvet cupcakes!
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 60g butter
- 10g cocoa powder
- 40ml red food colouring
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 1 large egg
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting:
- 50g butter – at room temperature
- 300g sifted icing sugar
- 125g full-fat cream cheese
Method for cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Whisk all of the butter and golden caster sugar in a bowl.
- Once mixed well, add the egg.
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to form a paste. Add this to the butter mixture and mix well until the paste has evened out.
- Gradually mix in the buttermilk and flour until you have a smooth batter.
- Place some cupcake cases onto plain oven trays and spoon in the batter individually until two-thirds full.
- Put the cupcakes into the oven for 20 minutes.
Method for cream cheese frosting:
- Mix the butter and icing sugar.
- Add the cream cheese and mix until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Place the frosting into the refrigerator whilst you wait for the cupcakes to finish baking.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled down, use an icing bag to decorate the cupcakes with the frosting and sprinkle some cupcake crumbs onto the frosting.
- If you’ve baked the cupcakes hours before your date or are taking them to your sweetheart, put them into a pretty cupcake carrier.