Rhubarb Crunch Cupcakes
These moist little cakes are wonderful eaten warm from the oven, or great to take on picnics in one of my cupcake carriers.
- 150g caster sugar
- 175g rhubarb
- 1 tbsp (15ml) sunflower oil
- 1 medium egg
- 100ml buttermilk
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 50g dark brown soft sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 25g porridge oats
- 1 heaped tsp (7.5ml) mixed spice
- 50g butter
- A little icing sugar for dusting
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan assisted/gas mark 7. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases. Cut the rhubarb into small pieces and put into a mixing bowl with the caster sugar. Stir together and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, prepare the crunchy topping by mixing together the brown sugar, flour, oats and spice, then rub in the butter with your fingertips – it’ll be a bit lumpy.
3. Add the oil, egg and buttermilk to the rhubarb, then stir in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, then scatter each with a thick layer of the crunchy mixture. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden and a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack, then dust with a little sieved icing sugar to serve.