Savoury Love Hearts
These crisp goat’s cheese and pepper tarts are very easy to make, look extremely pretty and taste wonderful. You can of course use another type of cheese, although the thin skin round the roll of the goat’s cheese does help it not to melt all over the edge of the shape, so try to find something similar.
- 1 x 230g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 150g roll of mild goat’s cheese
- 190g jar flame-roasted peppers, drained
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and very finely sliced (optional)
- 4-6 cherry tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds (use the side pieces in a salad or just eat them!)
- Fresh basil to serve
- A little olive oil
- Yolk of 1 medium egg, lightly beaten with a few drops of water
You will need
- Two heart-shaped cutters: around 7.5cm and 6cm across
1. Pre-heat the oven to 185°C/170°C fan assisted/gas mark 5). Carefully unroll the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut out 6-9 large heart shapes. Lightly press the smaller heart cutter into the centre of each shape to indent it without cutting through. Lightly score these edges with a sharp knife.
2. Slice the cheese into enough pieces for all the shapes and add one to each pastry heart. If you like it, add a couple of slices of garlic. Slice open the peppers and spread them flat on a chopping board. Cut out as many of the smaller size hearts as you can, and make up the rest from left-over pieces. Place them over the cheese. Top each heart with a slice of tomato, drizzle with a little oil and season. Brush the edges with the beaten egg yolk.
3. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and risen. Serve hot or cold, decorate with basil.