It’s never too soon, or too late, to start training your dog. Our friends from Mars Petcare have shared these tips on what you need to know to get started.
- Repeating things helps your dog learn what you’re looking for.
- Rewarding your dog for good behaviour over and over again is the key to a happy, obedient dog.
- Reinforcing the lesson at regular intervals means your dog won’t forget what they’ve learnt.
By rewards, we don’t just mean treats. You can use a combination of treats, verbal praise and stroking. Here are some hints to help you to use rewards.
- Reward your dog as soon as they obey so they associate the reward with the right action.
- A food reward should be something really tempting – and it won’t work effectively straight after a meal
- Make sure the treat is healthy and that you’re using just enough to keep your dog motivated.
- Use the treats to let your dog know which action you’re rewarding, then gradually shift to verbal praise and stroking. You want your dog to be motivated by praise and love as well as food.