Carving a pumpkin this Halloween? We’ve put together some top pumpkin carving tips to help you to create a spook-tacular pumpkin for Halloween.
1. Good carving starts with a good pumpkin – Choose a pumpkin that is fresh, with a sturdy stem and no bruises. Also, make sure that it has a flat bottom so that it does not roll.
2. Cut out the lid on an angle, not straight up and down – This will prevent the lid from dropping inside the pumpkin when you replace it.
3. Use a template to perfect your spooky design – Create your own or find inspiration from the many pumpkin carving websites. Secure your design to the front of your pumpkin, and trace the image by poking holes along the lines. Once finished remove the template and gently carve using our Pumpkin Carving Kit.
4. Hold the pumpkin in your lap when it’s time to carve the features – It’s easier to carve when the face is gazing up at you. Always carve the features in clean up-and-down slices for the best end result.
5. Try shaving parts of your pumpkin rather than cutting all the way through – This will give your design a two-tone effect!
6. Paint your pumpkin instead of carving – Use our Ready Mix Paint to create a design or to add accents to an already carved pumpkin. They’ll also look great in the daytime.
7. Make your pumpkin shine from the inside out – Use Flickering LED Tea Lights to add a new dimension to simple styles for a really sinister touch.
8. Keep your pumpkin fresh – Spread Petroleum Jelly on the cut edges to seal in moisture.
Remember to Like Us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and sign up to receive our newsletter if you want to keep up to date with all our Halloween offers and competitions! Follow Poundland’s Halloween board on Pinterest.