July is often the hottest month and now that we’re well into summer we can enjoy hours of sunshine and heat. It’s the perfect time to bask in your beautiful garden or have a BBQ party.
Plants will still need watering even with odd rainfall as the water will dry up before nutrients can be absorbed.
Here is what we are doing in the garden in July.
General garden maintenance
- Add solar lights for when you choose to sit outside on the warm evenings and decorate with garden ornaments if you like personalisation.
- Hanging baskets and borders will make the garden look colourful and pretty.
Keep on top of lawn mowing as grass growth with increase with the higher temperature.
Regularly hoe off any weeds.
Feed and protect your garden with liquid feeds and rose food.
Make sure you check for any birds before clipping any hedges!
What to sow and grow this month
- Direct sow sunflowers, poppies and cornflower outdoors to attract bees, butterflies and wildlife.
- Sow candy tuft around edges to bring more colour to the garden.
- Start cauliflower seeds undercover.
- Plant out summer bedding at the end of the month (except in cold areas).
- Earth up potatoes and plant any still remaining.
Poundland have a great range of products to support your gardening activity in July, why not check out the range from our Gardening section online.
Our customers love to share their gardening photos with us, if you have purchased a product from Poundland and are having a great success, share your story with us and we will print them on our social media and blog.