May Gardening Tips
Summer is on its way as the bulbs are fading and borders are growing.
May is one of the driest times of the year which means an ideal consistency for seed sowing. However that also means it is important to ensure your seedlings have enough water.
Here is what we are doing in the garden in May.
General garden maintenance
- Mow the lawn regularly as the temperature rises and grass growth increases. Treat with a lawn feed and moss killer.
- Regularly remove dandelions from your lawn.
- Feed and protect your garden with liquid feeds and rose food.
- Bring some personality to the garden with ornaments and garden decorations.
- Check for nesting birds before clipping any hedges.
- Protect plants from slugs and snails
- Spray your roses against green flies and black flies
What to sow and grow this month
- Direct sow sunflowers, poppies and cornflower outdoors to attract bees, butterflies and wildlife.
- Directly sow Easy Flowers in to your borders
- Plant up your hanging baskets and containers
- Plant out summer bedding from the middle of the month
- Earth up potatoes and plant any remaining potato seeds you have
Poundland have a great range of products to support your gardening activity in May, why not check out the range in-store. Click here to find your nearest Poundland.