These cheeky cupcakes are a doddle to make and even more fun to decorate with a couple of Maltesers® and some writing icing.
Once you’ve baked these tasty treats, take a photo and share it on social media with hashtag #bakeamillion. Maltesers® will dontate £5 towards their £1m donation for Red Nose Day with each photo uploaded between 1st February – 24th March.
For the cupcakes:
- 175g self raising flour, sifted
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
For the topping:
- 150g red fondant icing
- 1 x small tub white writing icing
- Preheat oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 4 and place 16 medium cupcake cases in a cake tray.
- Beat together the flour, sugar, butter, vanilla extract and eggs using an electric food mixer for about 2 minutes, until well blended.
- Divide between the cake cases and cook for 18-20 minutes, until well risen and golden.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Roll out the fondant icing and cut into circles large enough to sit over the cakes. Pipe a little white icing on top of the cake and arrange fondant circles on top pressing down well until secure. Then place the Maltesers® balls as eyes on top using a spot of the white writing icing to secure, then pipe the winking eyes and mouths.