Here is what we are doing in the garden in April.
April Gardening Tips
General garden maintenance
- Feed trees, shrubs, and hedges with a slow release fertiliser around the base of the plants, lightly fork it in and if it’s dry make sure you water well afterwards.
- Start planting your new perennials
- Start staking herbaceous plants now before the growth is too tall – that way you will get a much more natural effect.
- Take preventative measures to stop slugs and snails from damaging young fresh shoots.
- Prepare soil well ready for sowing vegetable seeds directly into the ground by lightly digging it, then raking which will break up any lumps – you’re aiming for a fine “crumb” texture.
- Stop weeds growing by regularly hoeing – for best results do it on a dry, sunny or windy day.
- Keep an eye on containers as the can easily dry out on a warm sunny day – it’s worth putting them on saucers to make the best use of any rain or watering.
- Don’t forget to get your shed tidy and organised so you can find all of your tools easily
- April is a great time to plant your new season roses
- Flowering bulbs are one of the most reliable ways of adding colour to a patio or border – now is the time to plant lilies for summer colour and fragrance.
- Flower borders will benefit from a sprinkling of general purpose fertiliser like fish, blood and bone, lightly fork in and remove perennial weeds as you go.
Poundland have a great range of products to support your gardening activity in April, why not check out the range in-store. Click here to find your nearest Poundland.